Thursday, September 17, 2009

iPod Touch in the Classroom

I love my iPod Touch and always find it fascinating how many applications there are for it. I wish I could have some for my classroom because of the number of applications that are available for eduational purposes.

Earlier this week, I was jealous to hear that the University of Saskatchewan was offering a course in creating an "app" for Smart phones. Now why couldn't I take a cool course like that when I was in University? Even if it wasn't for money making purposes, I think it would be interesting to design applications to enhance your lessons to use on your class set of iPod Touches. You can listen to the story on the CBC Saskatchewan's Morning Edition Podcast that aired on September 14th here.

While reading my Twitter Feed today, I came across this video about the use of the iPod Touch in a classroom in England on the Learn 4 Life blog. I had to share because I found it quite interesting.



Maybe one of my future projects will be to invest in some iPod touches for my classroom. I think that with the number of applications that they have available now for the iPod Touch, it would be an interesting investment in student learning, especially given the new approach we are using in our school right now based on cooperative, inquiry based learning.

I'm looking for other educators who are using iPod touches in their classrooms. How do you use them and why do you find them useful to enhance students' learning? If you have any experiences or insights to share, I would love to hear from you.

3 comments:

  1. Woops, I forgot the link. Sorry.
    http://getrealscience.com/marshallh/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I recently had to do a project about using the Ipod touch in an inquiry-based science classroom. My partner and I blogged about it and I hope you find it helpful!
    Thanks,
    Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Marshall. Your list and evaluation of Science apps is impressive. I will be checking them out for use this fall in my classroom. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete